UX Design: Week 4 — Design Studio
The Design studio methodology is almost similar to a rapid ideation session, with the purpose to focus on design, generate design solutions rapidly and involve many key members such as stakeholders, designers and developers.
The structure of Design Studio:
- Users generate their ideas/create sketch concepts
- Users come together to show and provide feedback
- Collab together to create one concept based on feedback and ideas.
The design studio method should and can happen between the research and the design phase. But better to start as soon as possible to get an understanding for the final design. This should be continued and regularly updated whenever a problem in faced so that the solution can be discovered as soon as.
The benefit of the Design studio
Effective communication — sharing ideas across the teams is promoted, brings together each individual thoughts and ideas and likely to meet user goals
Less time and money — generating rapid designs for solutions means less time and cost being wasted.
Better Visualisation — drawings and sketches can give better visualisation than words.
My thoughts on the Design Studio Methodology
Although the Design studio is encouraged for team to come together, I will use some form of this to my module. I see this being slightly similar to rapid ideation session. I found this to be useful in my previous module as I was able to come up with a design quickly without having to over think and I will continue to use this form of methodology multiple time, if required, in order to come up with a final design. I will also share my designs on the forum to gain feedback from tutors and students in my module.
1. Falmouth University, February 2021, Week 4: Design Studio and Iteration, Falmouth University, Viewed 10thMarch 2021, Available at <https://flex.falmouth.ac.uk/courses/907/pages/week-4-design-studio-and-iteration?module_item_id=48470>
2. Spiro Martzoukos, 27th June 2016, The Design Studio Method, edenspiekermann_, Viewed 16th March 2021, Available at <https://www.edenspiekermann.com/insights/working-with-design-studios/>